Northern Liberties — An Insider Guide
Northern Liberties has long since shed its “up-and-coming” reputation and established itself as a social and cultural powerhouse. No Libs is a truly fun loving neighborhood with a youthful personality, offering a not-so-typical shopping experience, delicious cafes, a booming bar scene and a constant supply of cultural events. If you are seeking an area with an energized atmosphere, a distinctly funky style and a strong, united community, Northern Liberties is the spot for you!
Location, Location, Location
Northern Liberties has been booming for years – and this trend seems unstoppable. With an influx of new residents from Center City, New York and the rest of the world demand for quality housing in this popular neighborhood keeps growing. What keeps these newbies coming? What keeps the long-time residents from moving? This neighborhood enjoys the convenience of being a stone’s throw from Center City, while maintaining it’s small neighborhood feel. Northern Liberties has one of the most fun shared outdoor spaces in the City – the neighborhood owned and managed Liberty Lands – visit this park for outdoor movies, concerts, frisbee tossing or let the kiddos enjoy the playground. The restaurant and pub scene is flourishing as well – new restaurant openings seem to happen at least once a week – it’s amazing. Fun, convenience, proximity to Center City – No Libs has got a lot going for it – and it seems everyone knows it.
Food and Drink
Whether you are a coffee fanatic or wine enthusiast, prefer fine dining or finger foods, No Libs has what you are looking for. Just about every type of cuisine imaginable is available within a few blocks. Though it is very difficult to choose from the amazing variety of restaurants and cafes, we want to tell you a few of our favorites.
- Euphoria Cafe- a great place to recharge with coffee, tea, juice and smoothies
- One Shot Coffee- an adorable space with excellent coffee and breakfast food
- The Foodery- a smorgasbord of craft beer to-go
- Bar Ferdinand– tapas, wine and a social atmosphere
- North Bowl- a fabulously retro bowling alley and hangout
- Jerry’s Bar-one of the hottest gastropubs in the city
- El Camino Real– great Tex-Mex cuisine in a chilled out environment with outdoor seating
- The 700 Club– an excellent drink selection, good music and “footy on the telly”
- Standard Tap- locally brewed beer and a revolving menu of hearty dishes
We love the sense of peace and serenity that No Libs provides but we also like to put on our party clothes and hit the town once in a while. No matter what your idea of a wild night out is, Northern liberties has the right fit for you. Make sure you check out some of these local spots, offering quality entertainment and enjoyable atmospheres.
- The Piazza- A beautiful cultural hub of shops, restaurants and cultural events
- Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site- a fascinating literary landmark
- Art Galleries- get a taste of the local art scene at Projects Gallery, The Toothless Cat Gallery or Bambi Gallery
- Shopping-No Libs offers a huge selection of independently owned shops that offer an enjoyable and exploratory shopping experience
Fun & Leisure
- The Fire – a no-frills music venue and bar with a full schedule of fun shows
- The Barbary– a dive-y spot with an eclectic variety of concerts and themed party nights
- Johnny Brenda’s– a classic No Libs location with live music almost every night of the week
- Ortlieb’s-music, brews and food in a funky atmosphere
- Silk City- a retro style diner with quality food, outdoor dining and awesome live shows
- Liberty Lands Park- a public space that hosts numerous community events
- Orianna Hill Park-a gorgeous open area for people and puppies to socialize